Its usually the parents or adults who are supposed to protect their family but this young girl did something that made everyone call her a hero!
Alixon Lopez Martinez of Maryland is the person you would want to call during a fire, even though she is only 12.
One night in November, when her father was at work and and the rest of the family was asleep, the loud sound of their fire alarm woke Martinez up. First, she went to see where the fire was coming from.
“I got off my bed and went to the living room and the couch was on fire,” she told ABC 2 News.
After figuring out the source of the fire, she helped her family escape from their fiery home.
“When I saw that I ran to my mom’s room and told her there was a fire, and she was with the baby and my sister, and I helped her exit out of the back door,” the young girl said to ABC 2 News.
Her grandmother had already gotten out of the house, and after saving her mom, her baby sister who was only a week old, and her 8-year-old sister, there was one more thing Martinez had to accomplish.
Martinez ran back into her fiery home and grabbed her cellphone.
According to ABC 2 News, the young hero ran into her home to get her cell phone so she could call 911.
The emergency responders were proud of the girl’s courage.
Chief Sean Alliger said, “It is heartwarming, especially around this time of year, that a 12-year old girl would have the fortitude to recognize that she would have to wake up her mother who had an infant in the same room with her.”
Martinez was honored by Howard County Department of Fire & Rescue Services for her courageous act. Fire Chief, John S. Butler referred to Martinez as a “hero” and granted her with a certificate of appreciation.
Martinez received more praise when Interim Superintendent, Michael J. Martirano said, “What she has done is absolutely courageous and remarkable.”
He added that he is more than proud of the 12-year-old hero.
Even though the family lost their home, they still have their lives, thanks to Martinez. They moved in with nearby relatives.
“I was in shock when I saw the fire,” Martinez said. “Thank God that I was awakened by that alarm to save my family.”