Paraffin is a petroleum derivative used by most candle manufacturers as a cheap wax. When burning, candles release this toxic substance, which is just as harmful as second hand smoke. Asthmatics should be particularly cautious when nearby these toxic candles.
Asthmatic people may experience more respiratory troubles around burning candles with paraffin. It can be dangerous just like second hand smoke.
Melted paraffin discharges fumes that are alike to those of a diesel engine. They fill up the air with carcinogenic chemicals. Carcinogens such as benzene and toluene are released into the air from melted paraffin and can cause headaches to lung cancer.
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health advises you to limit your exposure to paraffin wax fumes. It has been found that paraffin fumes cause tumors in the kidneys and liver.
There are around 20 toxins in paraffin candle wax, such as: acetone, Trichlorofluoromethane, Carbon Disulfide, 2-Butanone, Trichloroethane, Trichloroethene, Carbon Tetrachloride, Tetrachloroethene, Chlorobenzene, Ethylbenzene, Styrene, Xylene, Phenol, Cresol, Cyclopentene.
Moreover, synthetic scents and colors added to scented candles may lead to experiencing allergic reactions.
Scented candles like Glade and Febreeze candles and cheap “aromatherapy” should be avoided. Also, gel candles have the same petrochemicals as paraffin, but they pose one more danger from their glass containers occasionally exploding.
Try to avoid inexpensive candles from the Dollar Store because they are usually imported and may have lead wicks.
Here is what you can buy instead:
These candles are very famous because replace paraffin candles. Soy candles burn clean, longer than paraffin candles and are soot-free. The negative side of these candles is they will spoil without a preservative and very often contain bleach and hardeners. Also, soy is the most genetically modified crop in the USA.
You can find beeswax candles in all shapes and sizes, molded and in containers.
They don’t include toxins and are soot-free, don’t cause allergies, burn the brightest, burn cleaner and burn 5 times as long as paraffin candles. These candles omit negative ions into the air when burned, invigorating the body. Beeswax candles are much more expensive than paraffin candles, but they can be easily made.