Lanna Hamann travelled to Mexico for a vacation with friends and their parents in the summer of 2014. What they imaged would be a great adventurous holiday turned out to be a nightmare.
One day during her holiday she was laying on the beach, Lanna suffered a sudden heart attack. All attempts at resuscitation and medical help were in vain. She died that evening.
In the beginning everyone were puzzled as to why someone as young and healthy as her died due to a cardiac arrest. Lanna was a healthy, happy girl: an athlete who loved to be active. She was a good softball player and had no health problems. There was nothing to indicate that she would die in this way.
Lanna’s mother Kris pondered over this for a long agonizing and painful time when the truth hit her! She went public with some shocking information: on the day of her death, Lanna had not drunk any water. Instead, shortly before her fatal cardiac arrest, she had drunk a Red Bull energy drink.
Heart specialist Jack Wolfson confirmed Kris’s hunch. Lanna had regularly consumed energy drinks. She was literally addicted to them.
High levels of caffeine and sugar, the primary ingredients in the popular drinks, can be dangerous in high concentrations, even for super-healthy people such as Lanna. “There is medical evidence that these things do harm; they can cause changes in the heart rhythm, and impact blood pressure,” Wolfson said.
Kris says that the last thing she wanted was for other youngsters to die. She added that what happened to her daughter’s could happen to anyone and . She hopes that her story can help prevent similar tragedies in the future.
Hopefully Lanna’s untimely death serve as a warning to drink energy drinks with caution!