Weakness in memory can be quite a big complain, especially with the growing old age. Weak memory can be quite frustrating in everyday life!
There are various other factors that make your memory weak such as sleep disorders, nutritional deficiencies particularly vitamins, depression, excess alcohol, smoking, thyroid issues and use of certain medications. Alzheimer’s disease can also be one of the causes of weak memory along with many other symptoms. While dealing with some serious memory issues it is advised to consult an expert for proper treatment and diagnosis.
For general memory problems though, you can try some natural home remedies and incorporate healthy lifestyle changes.
Here are the top 10 home remedies to improve memory.
Almonds are an excellent Ayurvedic remedy to help improve memory and brainpower. They are rich in antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids that boost memory. Due to their rich antioxidant content, almonds are good for your eyes, too.
- Soak 5 to 10 almonds in water overnight.
- The next morning, peel the skin and grind the almonds.
- Boil this paste with one glass of milk.
- Add some sugar or honey for taste.
- Drink it daily for 30 or 40 days.
Rosemary is another popular herb for improving weak memory. Even sniffing its aroma can help. In a 2013 study conducted at the University of Northumbria in England, researchers found that the aroma of rosemary can help improve prospective memory, which is critical for everyday functioning.
Prospective memory refers to the ability to remember to do something in the future (for example, remembering to get gas before a trip, return someone’s phone call, etc.)
- Steep one teaspoon of dried rosemary in a cup of boiling water for about five minutes. If you have fresh rosemary, steep a sprig in a teapot containing hot water for three to five minutes. Strain and add honey for taste, if desired. Drink it daily for a few weeks.
- You can also breathe in the aroma of rosemary oil or add a few drops of the oil to a room diffuser.
Note: As the effects of rosemary have not been studied on children, it not recommended for medicinal use in those under age 18. It can be taken as a spice in food, though.
3. Black Seed (Nigella Sativa)
Black seeds (scientific name, Nigella Sativa), also called kalonji, have great mind-sharpening potential, thanks to their antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and neuron-protecting properties.
A study published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology found that those who took two 500 mg capsules containing pure ground black seed powder daily showed improved cognition, memory and attention compared to those who took a placebo.
- Mix a little honey in one-half teaspoon of ground black seeds. Eat it twice daily for at least a few weeks.
- Alternatively, you can take this herb in supplement form after consulting your doctor.
4. Indian Gooseberry
Indian gooseberry, also called amla, is used in Ayurveda to enhance memory power and strengthen the nervous system.
- Take one to three teaspoons of Anwala churna three times a day for at least a few weeks.
- Another option is to mix one teaspoon each of Indian gooseberry root powder and white sesame seeds, ground into a powder. Add one teaspoon of honey to this mixture. Eat it once daily for a few days.
This Ayurvedic herb has great mental benefits. It works as a brain tonic and has antioxidant and neuroprotective effects.
A 2008 study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine found that brahmi (scientific name bacopa monnieri) helped improve word recall memory and decrease depression and anxiety. The study was conducted on healthy individuals age 65 and older.
- Consume one to two teaspoons of juice extracted from brahmi leaves two or three times a day. You can also add a little honey.
- Alternatively, you can mix one-quarter to one-half teaspoon of brahmi powder in a cup of warm milk, add a pinch of cardamom and drink it once or twice daily. You can also add a little clarified butter, also called ghee.
- Another option is to take this herb as a supplement by taking 300 mg of standard extract daily. Consult your doctor first.
Follow any of these remedies for at least a few weeks.